- Download 1
- File Size 107.19 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date October 4, 2019
- Last Updated October 4, 2019
2010-11 Cherub Aust National Championships Results
2010-11 Australian Cherub National Championships
As published in Australian Sailing March 2011
Largs Bay Sailing Club, Adelaide
Class veteran Trevor Fay sailing with a new crew Nathan Chipchase took out the Cherub National Championships sailed at Largs Bay Sailing Club in Adelaide. It was Fay and Chipchase’s consistency that gained them the title in a series that saw wildly varied conditions.
The first three races were sailed in very light airs in which Belmont crew Brett and Ryan Lancaster excelled. The Lancasters set up an early lead in the series with three straight wins. In Race 2 only the Lancasters and Fay and Chipchase finished the course within the time limit. A resulting protest against the Race Committee saw all the other competitors were awarded redress, in the form of average points for the race.
Following a lay day the conditions turned full circle with 25+ kts winds battering the fleet for the next three races. The changed conditions saw a shakeout of the leader-board with the heavy weather specialists making their way back into contention. Belmont crew of Ashley Knighton and Rhys Mara, Western Australians Steve and Blake Vance and the local team of Neil How and Alex Bath each scored wins in the tougher conditions.
On the eve of the final race Fay and Chipchase, who had yet to win a race, had enough top placing that they only needed to match How and Bath in the final race. This they did sailing to thir first race win of the series.
The junior title went to the Lancaster brothers and the Cadet Championship to Kris Fay and Liam Doyle from Belmont. Claire Lunsmann from Lane Cove won the trophy for the first woman skipper.
Next year’s Cherub Nationals will be held at Keppel Bay Sailing Club in Yeppoon Queensland.
1. French Tickler, (Trevor Fay, Nathan Chipchase), NSW, 2, 2, 2, 3, (9), (dnf), 1, 10pts
2. Monster, (Neil How and Alex Bath), SA, (5), rdg, 4, 1, (8), 3, 3, 15pts
3. Busted Football, (Ben Lawrie, Geoff Longwood), WA, 3, (rdg), 3, 2, (dnf), 4, 4, 16pts
4. Causing Haavik, (Brett Lancaster, Ryan Lancaster), NSW, 1, 1, 1, (13), (11), 10, 5, 18pts
5. Serenity Now, (Steven Vance, Blake Vance), WA, (10), rdg, (16), 4, 4, 1, 8, 24.2pts
6. Rope City, (Ashley Knighton, Rhys Mara), NSW, (11), rdg, (16), 4, 4, 1, 8, 24.7pts
7. Fine Mess, (Brennan Stead, E Mahar),WA, (15), rdg, 7, 6, 2, 9 ,(16), 33.2pts
8. The Cunning Linguist, (Cam Rule, Cain McVee), WA, (23), rdg, (21), 7 ,3 ,5 ,11, 37.7pts
9. Wally, (Kris Fay, Liam Doyle), NSW, 7, rdg, (12), 9 ,7, 3, 5, 11, 39.2pts
10. Quick Spoon, (Glen Emery, Grant Edwards), SA, (14), rdg, 9, 8, 6, 8, (19), 41.7pts